Monday, June 29, 2009

Back to my roots.....

My paper crafting roots that is. For those of you who don't know my "story", it goes something like this.....

6 years ago my Husband, Daughter and I traveled to a tiny island in the Bay of Fundy called Grand Manan, New Brunswick (it's between Maine, USA and Nova Scotia, Canada). We had a fantastic vacation and all of the 7 rolls of film (yes, I said rolls, it was before I had a digital camera) turned out AMAZING! I wanted to do something with the pictures that was nicer than just putting them in a standard photo album.

I had heard about scrapbooking, but didn't have a clue what I was doing. I bought a book and started organizing my pictures in it. As I worked through the book I started wanting certain items to decorate it with, or an easier way to cut pictures, paper etc. I worked on the book very slowly, so slow in fact that it took about 3 years to complete it. But by the end I was hooked! With the birth of my son impending and a collection of thousands of pictures of my daughter, I looked to begin their books.

I contacted a local Creative Memories consultant to get my hands on some of their tools and books. I hosted a few parties for her, and even considered becoming a CM Consultant. And then my CM rep introducted me to Stampin' Up!. I joined a 10 month club with out even seeing the products first hand, and it was love at first sight! I couldn't get enough. That's why I decided to become an SU Demo. I needed to recoup some of the money I had spend!! Yikes!! And I had spent a LOT!

So, that brings us to the project of the day: That's right, I actually got a chance to do some scrapbooking this weekend!!!! It's a true novelty for me these days. Between working full-time, building my SU business and chasing after two kids, I rarely have the time. I think some friends of mine and I are going to try and do a Scrapbooking retreat later this year. Any one know any good ones in Southern Ontario??

Anyhow, I had been surfing on Splitcoast Stampers lately and found a gallery of what they were calling "Progressive" pages. I was instantly attracted to the concept.

You start with a 6x6 layout. That's it just concentrate on your 6x6 page. For that I built my title. It's hard to tell by the picture but I stamped the "bubble" image from the new "Circle Circus" stamp set all over the background using my soon to be retired Pacific Point ink. Once you are done with your 6x6, you then adhere that to a 81/2 x 11 page. And now you complete that as a layout. So, on that layer I added some pictures, my first "wave" strip and a few embelishments. Once you are done with that you then adhere this new layout to a 12x12 page and complete your layout! I LOVED making a page this way, and it was much much quicker than my usual way of starting with a 12x12 and spending the next 2 hours figuring out what I am going to do with it, and then another 2 hours putting it all together. This one page took me only about 45 minutes from start to finish!!! I was amazed! I loved it because at any one time you only need to focus on a small portion of paper. You arn't overwhelmed by too much blank space.

I will definately be building a class around this one in the future!

Oh, and by the way I am a cronological scrapbooker... my daughter is 1 in these pictures.... she's 10 now!! I am very very behind!! But that's okay... one day I will get caught up!

Oh, and speaking of becoming a Demonstrator, I became one when the starter kit was only $249 like it is right now. Guess what? The price is going up in the new catty. So..... if this is something you have been thinking about, contact me ASAP to join my fabulous team or visit this link to sign up directly and remember that the password is Canadian!!!

Products used: Cardstock, Punches, Ink & stamps- Stampin' Up!, Stickers- Making Memories, Scallop trim- Bazzil Basics, Metal Clips- Dollarama

Cheers,

No comments:

 

Free Blog Counter